Thursday, January 25, 2018

Turkey Quinoa Deliciousness

So this blogging thing has been back on my mind for quite some time. I miss it so much! Quite honestly, I have several partially written blog posts from over the last two or so years that never were completed.  I guess you could say I have been busy!  Running a business from home, taking care of three kiddos including a (I think now she may technically be a toddler, but I'm not ready to use that word yet) baby, kid's activities, homework, social calendar and more. I guess it doesn't sound like a lot, or maybe it does (?), but basically every moment is filled up. Until now, I'm squeaking this post in early in the AM because a lot of people have been asking for this recipe, so of course I want to share and this is the easiest way! :)

For those new here, the initial focus of my blog was to be able to have a creative outlet to document my ideas, goals, memories, stories and things about life in general for myself...and anyone else who feels like keeping up with me. :)  Fitfunlifestyle came from a combination of things I love - fitness, having fun, living life and style. See what I did there?? ;)

So with no further delay (frankly because I'm running out of time), here is the delicious Turkey Quinoa Taco Meal I made this week! Note: I make a double recipe so we have plenty of leftovers because it is a great leftover meal. If you are cooking for 2-3 people I recommend cutting the recipe in half.

Here you go!

Turkey Quinoa Taco Meal

Ingredients:
2 lbs ground turkey
1 large onion
2 TB minced garlic
1 can diced chilies (I use mild)
2 cans fire roasted tomatoes
1 jar salsa (I use mild)
1 cup frozen corn
1 can black beans (rinsed and drained)
1 can small kidney beans (rinsed and drained)
2 tsp sea salt
3 TB chili powder
1 1/2 TB cumin
1 packet taco seasoning
As much cheese as you desire for the top - I use FARRR too much. ;)

Directions:
Cook 1 Cup of Quinoa in small saucepan as directed.

Simultaneously, heat large skillet with EVOO and add chopped onion and garlic. Cook for one minute and then add ground turkey. Cook until turkey is cooked through.

Add diced chilies and stir in first. Then add the tomatoes, corn, salsa, beans and all seasonings. Just literally throw it all in and mix together well. 

When quinoa is cooked through, add to the skillet combination and mix all together and cover. Have heat on Med/High heat so the liquid (very minimal) can boil and then turn to simmer to let all the deliciousness mix together.  After 5 minutes, open the lid, add your desired amount of cheese, cover to melt and then serve!

Its a complete meal on its own but it can also be served with tortilla chips.  Topping recommendations are sour cream (confession: I use farrrr too much of this too) and avocado.

Let me know if you try it! It's on our bi-weekly meal plan! (When I have time to make a meal plan)!



Told you I use a lot of cheese! ;)

ENJOY!

~Erin Leigh

No comments:

Post a Comment