Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Crockpot Chicken Chili

Yesterday before work I was scrambling to figure out what to make for dinner.  Usually on Mondays I try to do a crockpot meal since both my hubby and I are at work all day.  Since I never got around to meal planning this weekend (due to whiny and demanding children who are still punishing for going on vacation without them...which I could go on about but I think I will save that for another day), I had to throw something together using chicken, because it is what I had defrosted.  So, I made a crockpot chicken chili.  It is actually similar to my go-to Santa Fe Chicken recipe but I switched out some ingredients since we have had that recently and it completely changed the flavor.  I mean, you would think changing some ingredients that the flavor would change but for some reason when I saw it all together in the crockpot and put the lid on, I had this feeling it was going to come out the same.  But anyways, even my hubby liked it and confirmed that it does, in fact, taste like a different meal.  It took about 5 minutes to throw together! Perfect for a busy day!  Here it is!

Crockpot Chicken Chili
Ingredients:
3 boneless chicken breasts
1 1/2 cups salsa
1 1/2 cups crushed tomatoes
1 cup water
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
(You can really use whatever beans you like here)
1 can corn, drained
2 tablespoons chili powder
1/2 tablespoon cumin
1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
1/2 tablespoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Directions:
Throw (not literally) all ingredients into the crockpot, mix together, cover chicken. Done.

Cook on low for 8-10 hours.  Shred chicken and put back into crockpot and mix together. Serve.

You can serve over rice, with tortilla chips, with cheese or sour cream.  We ate it exactly as it was and it was filling...no additional carbs or sides necessary!



Hope you enjoy! :)

~Erin Leigh

No comments:

Post a Comment