Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Crockpot Chicken Tacos! SO Easy and SO good!

I found a crockpot recipe on Pinterest a while ago for chicken tacos with only 3 ingredients.  The ingredients were boneless chicken breast, salsa and a packet of taco seasoning. How easy is that?! You are more than welcome to use that recipe...but I have made some modifications and like it more so I will share with you!  When I was pregnant, for some reason, I couldn't handle the smell or taste of the original recipe which is what led me to modify it.  (One of the joyous side effects of pregnancy)! So anyways, I made a few minor modifications and here it is!

Ingredients:
3 boneless chicken breasts
Half jar of salsa (your choice)
1 can of Rotel
2 Tablespoons of taco seasoning (You can use 1 packet.  I make my own taco seasoning...see recipe below).

Put all ingredients in crockpot on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.
Shred chicken when cooking is complete and put back into the crock pot.
It's as easy as that!

I served with taco shells, lettuce and a mixed cheese blend. You can also use sour cream, extra salsa or any other toppings you like on tacos.  It was a low calorie dinner and so good! We all liked it :)





Taco Seasoning

As I mentioned before, I usually make my own taco seasoning as it is SO easy and I know exactly what is in it rather than the store bought packets.  I made some minor adjustments to the initial taco seasoning recipe I had found to make it a little more mild since I have two toddlers at home.
 

Ingredients:
2 Tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon paprika
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon black pepper

Mix together in a jar of your choice. You can double or triple the recipe to keep more on hand.  Use 2-3 Tablespoons to replace 1 packet.  (I typically use 2 to keep it more mild but it still has flavor with 2).

There you have it!  Seems like a long and drawn out recipe but it is super easy and a go-to recipe for me on a busy day.  Hope you enjoy it! :)

~Erin Leigh
 

No comments:

Post a Comment