Friday, September 27, 2013

Best Healthy Carrot Cake Ever!

I am not one to eat donuts or bagels for breakfast...I try to always start the day healthy because it sets the tone for the rest of the day, BUT I am a sucker for leftover carrot cake or my favorite peanut butter cookies with coffee! 

Yesterday was my mother in law's birthday so we had them over and I made dinner and a homemade carrot cake for dessert.  I have a healthy recipe that my mom had gotten from a dietician and I tweaked slightly to give some more flavor.  Everyone always loves it so I thought I would share the recipe.  It is very specific but super quick and easy! 

Carrot Cake
Stir together the following:
1 cup white flour
1 cup whole wheat four
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon allspice
**You don't have to add nutmeg and allspice but those are my two favorite spices to add to baking, especially in the fall!**

This is where it becomes specific...
With a wooden spoon add the following ingredients SEPARATELY, stirring each completely before adding the next.

1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 cup applesauce
4 eggs
3 cups grated carrots

Pour into 2 round pans - GREASE AND FLOUR
Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes (I cooked mine for 35)

Frosting (Not so healthy, but totally delish!)
2/3 stick of butter softened
8 oz cream cheese (I use 1/3 fat)
1 box powdered sugar (1 pound)
2 teaspoons vanilla

This recipe is so good! It is a Thanksgiving favorite turned into an anytime favorite! And because it is as healthy as possible, and even has carrots, I don't feel so bad having it for breakfast the day after :) 

The only thing better than a good carrot cake is...a healthy carrot cake...for breakfast...with coffee ;)

Try it out and let me know how you like it!!

~Erin Leigh

No comments:

Post a Comment