Sunday, September 22, 2013

First day of Fall!

Last night was a LONG night to say the least...I will spare you the details but if you are interested it was similar to last Sunday night which you can read about here:  http://www.fitfunlifestyle.blogspot.com/2013/09/another-day-another-goal.html 

Anyways...although I was overly exhausted this morning I decided to, with the "help" of my children, make some homemade healthy apple cinnamon muffins with the apples we picked last weekend.  I like to bake but I always try to make recipes healthier yet still taste good. They were delish! I thought I would share the recipe including my modifications for anyone interested! Happy Fall! :)

Apple Cinnamon Muffins
Preheat oven to 400 degrees

Ingredients:
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup rolled (old fashioned) oats
2/3 cup dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon all spice
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
Mix these dry ingredients together in a bowl

In another bowl combine:
1/3 cup cream cheese (I used low fat)
1 (6 oz) container of Greek Yogurt (I used apple flavored, you can also use plain or vanilla)
1/4 cup applesauce (I used natural applesauce)
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/2 cup chopped apples

Mix wet and dry ingredients together.  Spray muffin pan. (I made the mistake of using liners and the muffins partially stuck to the sides of them so if I were to redo I would definitely just spray the muffin pan!)

Spoon into muffin pan and fill about 2/3 of the way to the top.

Mix together 2 tablespoons of brown sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon in a small dish.  Sprinkle a little on top of each muffin and then place into the oven.

Cook for about 15 minutes or until lightly browned. (Mine cooked for about 18 minutes).  Let cool for 10 minutes (my son waited 3 so that is perfectly acceptable as long as you do everything possible to cool it off before you devour it like he did).  Then enjoy!

A perfect way to start the first day of fall...exhaustion and all! :)

 
 
If you try the recipe let me know how you like it!  Enjoy!


~Erin Leigh


No comments:

Post a Comment