Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Success

Everyone wants to be successful right?  How is it measured? It is rare that you come across someone who actually does not desire to be successful in some way.  It is a natural human instinct to want to succeed...or to be frustrated if you don't.  I came across this (on Pinterest of course) and gave it a lot of thought so I wanted to share!

21 Suggestions for Success!
1.  Marry the right person.  This one decision will determine 90% of your happiness or misery. 
(Check!)  :)
2.  Work at something you enjoy and that's worthy of your time and talent.
3.  Give people more than they expect and do it cheerfully.
4.  Become the most positive and enthusiastic person you know.
5.  Be forgiving of yourself and others.
6.  Be generous.
7.  Have a grateful heart.
8.  Persistence, persistence, persistence.
9.  Discipline yourself to save money on even the most modest salary.
10.  Treat everyone you meet like you want to be treated.
11.  Commit yourself to constant improvement.
12.  Commit yourself to quality.
13.  Understand that happiness is not based on possessions, power, prestige, but on relationships with people you love and respect.
14.  Be loyal.
15.  Be honest.
16.  Be a self-starter.
17.  Be decisive even when it means you'll sometimes be wrong.
18.  Stop blaming others.  Take responsibility for every area of your life.
19.  Be bold and courageous.  When you look back on your life, you'll regret the things you didn't do more than the ones you did.
20.  Take good care of those you love.
21.  Don't do anything that wouldn't make your mom proud.
                                                                       -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

What I love about this is that it goes through "21 Suggestions for Success" and not once does it mention getting that next degree in school or being good at your job or how much money you make.  I feel that these 21 suggestions are to help make you successful at life in general.  Of course these qualities or characteristics will help towards success in the workforce, but they seem like qualities to help mold your character and then, in turn, set you up for success. 

My Dad always taught me about the importance of character when I was young, and now (unfortunately I cannot consider myself young any longer), I can completely understand why it was something he always emphasized.  Smart man he is :)  So anyways, I wanted to pass these suggestions on to others that also might find it motivating.  Do you see an area you feel you could work on to better yourself?  Character development never ends. I hope to instill these same characteristics in my children. All 21 of them!

Thankfully, I am able to cross #1 off my list ;)  - and I plan to work on # 4!

~Erin Leigh

No comments:

Post a Comment