Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Paleo Beef Stew - Crock Pot

So, I know the other day I mentioned how difficult switching to the Paleo diet seemed...but actually, it's been going pretty well. I have been trying to do my best to follow the plan each meal. For instance, Sunday we went out for breakfast and instead of getting an omelet with home fries (my favorite breakfast cheat) I got two over medium eggs with turkey bacon and a side of fruit. It was really good and I didn't leave feeling bloated and like I gained 5 pounds like I usually feel after going out for breakfast.  

Even those little hands wanted some!

Then today my meals were: 
Breakfast: 2 eggs and chicken sausage 
Lunch: Grilled chicken salad with walnuts, green apple and lite balsamic dressing
Dinner: Paleo beef stew.  This came out so good!! I was pleasantly surprised. I made my own recipe and threw it in the crockpot before work in the morning. You never know how that could turn out! Here it is! 

Paleo Crockpot Beef Stew 
Ingredients:
2 pounds beef stew meat 
1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes 
2 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks 
1 green pepper, cut into chunks 
1 onion, chopped 
3 handfuls spinach, chopped
1 tablespoon minced garlic 
2 beef bouillon cubes 
1 bay leaf 
Basil, onion salt, pepper, garlic powder (Your preference. I used a little of each)
2 cups water 

Throw all those ingredients into the crock pot and cook on high for 8-10 hours or on low for 6. 

Came out so good. I actually mashed it together for my son and told him it was a bowl I steak (he isn't a fan of sweet potato, carrots, green peppers, spinach...so basically not a fan of any ingredients other than beef). It worked and he ate it! I will definitely be making this again!  You can obviously make this even if you aren't on the Paleo diet.  It is so easy and a great meal!
 

 
 
Let me know if you try it! Do you have any Paleo recipes for me to try? Also, does anyone substitute anything when a recipe calls for beef bouillon cubes?  I would love to find a substitute that doesn't have MSG in it.  Please share!

~Erin Leigh

No comments:

Post a Comment