Sunday, November 10, 2013

White Bean Chicken Chili

Not much is better than getting cozy in leggings, some tall socks and an oversized sweater and eating a nice warm bowl of soup on a chilly fall day! (Actually...I can think of something better which would include a beach, palm trees, the ocean and a mojito....but, seeing as it's fall and I am here in New England, cozy clothes and soup it is)!  So...with that being said, I will share a new white bean chicken chili recipe I just made for the first time the other day! It was delicious. Even my kids loved it!  We had it at a friend's house and she sent me the recipe she used. It is healthy, flavorful and makes a good amount if you are having company or want to have leftovers! 

White Bean Chicken Chili

Ingredients:
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 teaspoons minced garlic
2 pounds ground chicken
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons ground cumin
1 tablespoon fennel seeds
1 tablespoon dried oregano
2 teaspoons chili powder
3 tablespoons flour
2 (15 oz cans) cannellini or other white beans, rinsed and drained
1 bunch (about 1 pound) kale (chopped into 1 inch pieces)
1 (15 oz can) corn
4 cups chicken broth

Directions:
In a large pot heat the oil over medium-high heat and cook the onion for about 5 minutes until translucent.  Then add the garlic and cook for about a minute.  Then add the ground chicken, salt, cumin, fennel seeds, oregano and chili powder.  Cook, stirring frequently until the chicken is cooked.  Then add the flour, beans, kale, corn and chicken broth.  Bring to a boil and then simmer for about 1 hour.

**If you want to add extra spice at this time you can add 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes and simmer for another 10 minutes.  I did not do this since I didn't want it too spicy for my kids, but if I wasn't feeding them I would totally try this out!**

You can top with parmesan cheese and chopped parsley if you like.

Here is the result!


Healthy and delish! Let me know if you try it out and like it! What is YOUR favorite fall soup recipe?? Please share...I would love to try a new one! :)  Hope you are staying warm!

~Erin Leigh

No comments:

Post a Comment