Sunday, November 17, 2013

Turkey Barley Soup! Quick and Healthy!

So, last night I gave my husband a few options for dinner with ground turkey as the main ingredient.  His choice was turkey barley soup.  I had to Google if barley was accepted in the paleo diet.  The answer was no. But, since I said I was starting small with the paleo diet, and barley was not on my list of 5 items to give up to start, and I also said I wasn't going to stress about it, turkey barley soup it was!  It's such a good recipe and I've made it several times, so of course I wanted to share!  Quick, easy and healthy!

Turkey Barley Soup

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 pound ground turkey
1 onion, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
6 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup pearl barley
salt and pepper
basil
garlic powder
3 cups spinach leaves, chopped

Directions:
Heat oil over medium heat.  Add turkey and cook until brown. 
Add onion, celery and carrots and cook for about 5 minutes until softened. 
Then add broth, barley and season with the salt, pepper, basil and garlic powder to your liking.

Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about an hour (until barley is tender).
Then add spinach, let it simmer for 5 minutes and serve :)

Before you view the picture, I will admit that due to the complaining of my 14 month old food loving daughter, I completely forgot to add the spinach this time around because I was rushing to get her fed.  (I swear sometimes you would think that I don't feed her.  She eats well, I swear!) 



The picture would look better with the spinach.  We missed out on our greens but oh well! 

And here is a photo just to prove I do not starve my child!


Those cheeks are proof!

Hope you like the soup!

So far, TODAY has been all Paleo!

~Erin Leigh

PS.  Stay tuned for my Small Business Special this week! It's one of my favorite local places!

Like Fit.Fun.Lifestyle on Facebook here!

No comments:

Post a Comment